Sunday, August 31, 2014

Gorgeous Golden whistler - Birds of Phillip Island

Golden whistler, Silverleaves, Phillip Island
I was treated to easily my best views ever of a male Golden whistler at Phillip Island yesterday. This species has often had me craning my neck looking into the canopy to try to find where that marvellous sound was coming from.

As you can see I had several minutes with this fellow as it fed in some smaller trees.





The bird was adept at detecting the presence of small grubs. This one was whacked repeatedly and wrapped one way then the other around this branch before being dispatched.



Bird on!

3 comments:

  1. Great looking bird - do see them very often, and get excited when I do!

    Great pictures as well.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart. I would love to see them more often!

      Delete
  2. Great captures with perfect light as well. I had one briefly visiting my garden last year. I was lucky to get a fleeting sighting.

    ReplyDelete