Friday, July 12, 2013

Woolamai honeyeaters

There is a section of the Cape Woolamai circuit that passes through a stand of banksia. Having been observing shorebirds, surf and then coastal heath one is suddenly immersed in the calls and territorial disputes of honeyeaters. The raucous shouts of wattlebirds dominate. Little wattlebird appeared to outnumber Red wattlebird on this occasion.

Little wattlebird, Cape Woolamai

Stand of banksia, Cape Woolamai

Also vying for honeyeater supremacy in this pocket of banksia were New Holland honeyeater and White-plumed honeyeater. A check of my observations reveals that I am yet to see Spiny-cheeked honeyeater in Victoria which is also "commonly" seen here (10% of Eremaea lists ... good enough reason to return in my book).

New-Holland honeyeaters discussing tactics
Moving back into coastal shrubs and heath gives the opportunity to see Singing honeyeater. In my opinion Singing honeyeater has a memorable distribution! Some of my fondest memories have occurred in outback Australia and also along the SW coast of Victoria. Guess where this bird occurs?

I reckon if I'm seeing Singing honeyeater I'm in a good place!

Singing honeyeater, Cape Woolamai, Phillip Island
Seeing this bird recently at Cape Woolamai, Phillip Island marks my most easterly sighting. I'll add this to my list of feel-good places!

Bird on!

2 comments:

  1. Hi I have never seen a Singing Honeyeater but perhaps it is not in the parts of Australia I have visited. Have a great weekend. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good part of the world - I have not had a walk around it yet this year; I think I may have to rectify that soon!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete